July 23, 2021: Tokyo Olympics, FBI Kavanaugh probe, Delta variant, China floods, and Haiti protests
July 23: Tokyo Olympics, FBI Kavanaugh probe, Delta variant, China floods, and Haiti protests
1. The Tokyo Olympics opens with a ceremony reflecting a Games like no other, walking a fine line between celebrating the feats of the world's best athletes while acknowledging the global hardship caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
2. Seven Democratic senators said that newly released materials show the FBI failed to fully investigate sexual misconduct allegations against U.S. Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh when he was nominated to the court in 2018.
3. The U.S. CDC has not revised its masking guidance, even as the Delta variant of the coronavirus sweeps the country, driving up infections, CDC director Rochelle Walensky said.
4. Workers driving construction vehicles helped to rescue stranded residents and deliver food to those still trapped after days of torrential rain swamped the central Chinese city of Zhengzhou.
5. Protests by angry supporters of late Haitian President Jovenel Moise convulsed the slain leader's hometown for a second successive day.
Reuters brings you the latest business, finance and breaking news video from around the globe. Our reputation for accuracy and impartiality is unparalleled.
Get the latest news on: http://reuters.com/
Follow Reuters on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reuters/?hl=en