Five stories you need to know for May 11, 2021
Five stories to know for May 11: Palestinian rockets, Israeli strikes in Gaza, Liz Cheney, Biden on jobs, police at Times Square and India’s COVID variant.
1. Palestinians fired uninterrupted barrages of rockets into Israel, as its military pounded Gaza with air strikes through the early hours of Tuesday.
2. The top Republican in the House of Representatives, Kevin McCarthy, has set a Wednesday date for Republicans to vote on removing Liz Cheney from her leadership post.
3. President Joe Biden defended himself against critics who say expanded unemployment benefits offered in the COVID-19 relief bill are keeping Americans from taking new jobs.
4. More New York police officers will patrol Times Square after a shooting last weekend that injured three people, including a child, the mayor said.
5. India’s coronavirus crisis showed scant sign of easing, with a seven-day average of new cases at a record high and the WHO warns the country’s variant of the virus poses a global concern.
Reuters brings you the latest business, finance and breaking news video from around the globe. Our reputation for accuracy and impartiality is unparalleled.
Get the latest news on: http://reuters.com/
Follow Reuters on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reuters/?hl=en